Monday, August 21, 2017

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Sam Hawkins

Tell me about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I was raised in Riverton, Utah and am the fourth child in a large family. Growing up I discovered I had dyslexia and was sent to resources classes. I hated words and could barely write or read. In 9th grade, my English teacher gave the assignment to write a short story using dialogue. I did everything possible to get out of the assignment. My wonderful teacher, Rosie Ruff, wouldn’t budge. Instead, she helped me push through. Inch by inch, I discovered I enjoyed the creative process  The scenes came to live in my head. Once I turned in the story, I began writing for myself and never stopped.



How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I don’t have a particular time to write. When I can fit it in, I do. Often times, I’ll skip extracurriculars to ensure I do get writing done.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a laptop or some other method of getting your words down?

I write on my laptop, when possible. If I don’t have it with me, I use my phone or grab paper and whatever writing utensil I can to make notes for when I get home. At the moment, I'm writing in my bedroom, in a large, red, rocking chair. I play soundtracks and classical music matching the mood of the scene and off I go. Dialogue is usually a great place for me to pick up from when I have taken a break, I can jump right into the moment. I try to begin at soon as possible in the day. My brain enjoys jumping into the story fifteen minutes before bedtime. Many times, I roll with it and stay up until three to get a scene written.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?
I don’t have a favorite part of writing. I enjoy all of it in turn. Development is a blast. Seeing characters come to life and then take off in directions I wasn’t planning for them to go in. Conflict and battle scenes get my adrenalin going, but usually, require me to go a bit slower. I want to make sure I get battles right. I even enjoy the revision process, especially when I see eye to eye with my editor. Collaboration to make my work better or see it in a way I hadn’t consider, gets me excited, most days.
My least favorite part is the anxiety; the anxiety of being judged. The anxiety of letting my dyslexia get the best of me. Worrying that perhaps, my fantastic story idea isn’t as mind-blowing as I believed it to be in my euphoric state of madness of development.

How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?

I came up with the idea of Deadly Seven from a dream I had back in 2007. The dream gave me the basic concept and my wonderful family helped me develop around it. I managed to write the first draft in eleven months.

Get the Book at Amazon
What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

At the moment, my marketing tactics have been Facebook, Twitter, and local events: Local Authors & You, Spring into Books and Barnes & Noble’s Author Palooza and word of mouth. 

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

I am working with an editor to finalize the other two books in the Deadly Trilogy, Deadly Fables, and Deadly Consequences. To keep my creativity going, I am working on Fantasy/ Sci-Fi, working title “Ragnarok”. A twenty-something woman working through mental illness gets swept up in her delusions and is carried away to Asgard, home of the Norse gods, only to discover, she’s not as crazy as she has been forced to believe.

Do you have a project on the backburner? Tell me about it.

I currently have eleven books started or somewhat developed waiting for my attention. I enjoy using myths and conspicuous theories combined with aspects of our day-to-day lives. I mix sci-fi and fantasy together quite a bit.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

I would tell new writers, any time you write or read, you’re learning and getting better at your craft. Write for the sheer love of writing. Fear stems from being judged, if the focus shifts to fear, the love gets lost in the shuffle. Every person has at least one story inside them, just bursting to get out. Write the first draft for yourself and write it with all the love you are capable of. If your work is written in love, you can’t miss.

Facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/sam.hawkins.58152

***

 A Question for Kathryn:

Is there actually a right or wrong way to write and publish?

We each have our own voice and we each have our own direction to follow. We should write what brings us joy, not what is currently selling online at Amazon. We should publish the way we want to publish. I began traditionally and decided that being traditionally published wasn't for me. Now I self-publish and have my own company where I assist other authors in publishing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.