Monday, September 23, 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Ken Lambert

Time for another author interview!

This time around, what does a writer write when he decides he's finally ready to write fiction? How does Ken find time to write when he's also working full-time?


Top Ten Most Influential Christians Since the Apostles
Top Ten Most Influential Christians Since the Apostles
Second Editon by Ken Lambert and Abby Matzke


1. Tell me about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I have worked primarily in the construction and real estate fields, and I have always been active in my local church. I have always enjoyed both research and writing.  I have tried some fiction writings, but all my published works have been nonfiction. This matches my reading trends; I typically do not read fiction.  As far as getting published, it began with me writing a foreword in a book on home inspections, for a small trade publisher.

2. How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?   


I write on my computer desktop, in my living room.  Usually after my boys go to bed, or otherwise when I have some peace and quiet.

3. What's your favorite part about writing? 
 
Coming up with new ideas about a book or a column, etc.  And the initial stages of thinking about that and the early research.   
 
Your least favorite part about writing?  
 
The redrafts and the editing.

4. What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?  
 
Mostly via the Internet.  Emails, blogs, LinkedIn, a little on FaceBook.  I also have done a few blogtalkradio shows and the like.  I have not done much in the way of book signings.

5. How do you schedule your writing time?
 
It is tough, with a young family.  Plus my wife and I both work.  Usually I have to “fit it in” at times.  I think about subject while I’m commuting, and then will piecemeal a column together when I can.   
 
When do you write? 
 
I probably write about once every 2 weeks.

6. What are you currently working on?   
 
I write ongoing columns for taberstruths.com, catholicbusinessjournal.biz, and now for the monthly newsletter of a national political party.  
 
Do you have a new book out?   
 
No, not now.  I’ve been focusing on articles and columns since my Church History book came out about 1 ½ years ago.

7. Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.   
 
I do-its my first venture in a long time into fiction.  It is a historical/ Biblical fiction and takes place in the era of Noah in the O.T.  But I haven’t even written the entire synopsis yet.  I’m hoping to maybe find a co-author for it.

8. What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?  
 
You have to start somewhere.  I would join some local writers group and try your talent there first.  Build up to publishing.  Getting paid to write is very difficult; many good writers have to write without getting paid for it, unfortunately.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.